Recent events point to an ever-increasing threat to port facilities from terrorism, which is reflected in a tightening of security standards for AEO accredited facilities.
The 1st May 2019 is an important date for your diary. The challenge is that security and retention of audit trails of compliance have to improve, but at the same time ports are busy places and even minor delays at the port gates can cause congestion and delays for hauliers. In the end, this raises costs for everyone. Sovereign has put together a gate management solution that tackles all of these issues using a range of technologies.
The port tracking solution is Fast-track. This enhances data flow and communication between terminals and carriers, and provides a system for terminals and prospective carriers to pre-advise both inbound and outbound cargo movements within specific time-slots.
How does the port tracking work?
- Fast-track creates a shared database of expected vehicle movements, collating information from approved business partners
- Documentation for loads is added to the records to eliminate paper records
- Employees working at security gates can then easily identify approved movements
- Flow can be automated using ANPR and photos retained in a searchable database
- Once all approved movements (including employees entering and leaving) are identified, it’s easier for security employees to identify non-approved movements.
Meeting security requirements
Sovereign have been working to integrate ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition), RFID and fingerprint recognition into Fast-track, a combined perimeter and secure area security management system that, importantly, provides traceability of access to all of the areas in port facilities. It can seamlessly link business partner gate security to that of the port’s ensuring that accurate and consistent records are kept.
Importantly, it’s not all about security. A port is all about moving goods, so Fast-track, as its name suggests is all about pre-clearing loads into and out of the port. It can manage delivery and pick-up slots where congestion is an issue. Port business partners can interact with the system via API (Automated Computer Interface) links, a secure website, or via an app on their phone. It is therefore fully scalable.
If you would like to find out more about this solution and how it can be applied to your business, please contact us at email@example.com or call our office and speak to someone in our automotive logistics team on +44 (0)20 8216 3333.